Here is what I have done so far.
- Take 3 clean bottle gourds and cut a hole in each end. I started the hole with a drill, then used a gourd saw to cut it. Wear safety glasses and a dust mask. I worked outside to have good ventilation.
- Scrape all the seeds and membranes out of the gourds.
- Find a branch that feels good as a handle. I used eucalyptus from my yard. I like the way they look with the bark on and it is a lot less work.
- Smooth the holes out. I used a Dremel with a sanding attachment.
- Get the handles to fit as well as you can. Smooth out any imperfections in the wood with a file or sandpaper.
- Find gravel to put inside the rattle. Don't forget to put it inside before attaching the handle.
|Gourd Rattle 1|
|Gourd Rattle 2|
|Gourd Rattle Three|
|Holding the 3 gourd rattles.|
|Now I need to attach the handles.|
|More branches for the next time.|