Sunday, February 16, 2014

Making Gourd Rattles

Today I wanted to design some gourd rattles.
Here is what I have done so far.

  1. Take 3 clean bottle gourds and cut a hole in each end. I started the hole with a drill, then used a gourd saw to cut it. Wear safety glasses and a dust mask. I worked outside to have good ventilation.
  2. Scrape all the seeds and membranes out of the gourds. 
  3. Find a branch that feels good as a handle. I used eucalyptus from my yard. I like the way they look with the bark on and it is a lot less work.
  4. Smooth the holes out. I used a Dremel with a sanding attachment.
  5. Get the handles to fit as well as you can. Smooth out any imperfections in the wood with a file or sandpaper.
  6. Find gravel to put inside the rattle. Don't forget to put it inside before attaching the handle.
Next time I'll figure out how to embellish my rattles. I'm thinking woodburning, beads and feathers. We'll see. 

Gourd Rattle 1

Gourd Rattle 2

Gourd Rattle Three
Holding the 3 gourd rattles.

Now I need to attach the handles.
More branches for the next time.

No comments: